Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sending kids back to school tomorrow?

Today is the last day of Christmas break and I cannot tell you how often I have heard tired out moms say, "I am so glad that I can send my kids back to school next week and get them out of my hair!"

And then, of course, the next statement that follows is... "I don't know how you do it, homeschooling six kids and having them home all day long!"

I think the emphasis in this statement is the "having them home all day long" part.

Now, don't get me wrong... I am a normal parent and there are definitely times when my children drive me up the wall. I didn't choose to homeschool them because I have some amazing supernatural ability to put up with chaos any more than anyone else. I didn't choose to homeschool because I have no hobbies and no interests and don't know what else I would do with my time all day long. I didn't choose to homeschool because I have "no life" outside of my children.

No, the reason that I chose to homeschool has nothing to do with me. In fact, I learned a long time ago that I have to die to myself in order to be the woman that God wants me to me. To be truthful, I have to do this every day. It begins with marriage and continues all through the parenting years. My life isn't about me anymore (I guess it never was!).

The reason that I homeschool is because I believe that it is the best educational option for our children. The reason that I homeschool is because I want to have an impact in their lives. The reason that I homeschool is because I don't want my children to be peer driven. The reason that I homeschool is because I want my children to think for themselves. The reason why I homeschool is because I want our family to function as a cohesive unit, to love and care for one another. The reason that I homeschool is because I want my children to understand that life isn't all about pursuing our own personal hobbies at the expense of others. Life is about becoming more like Christ - dying to ourselves and giving to one another. That's why I have chosen to homeschool and that's why I won't be putting my kids on the big yellow bus that will be coming down the street tomorrow.

I may not be sending my kids off to school tomorrow, BUT I am looking forward to getting back into our school routine. It will be good to be more productive and have less idle time on our hands.

And to all of you, be encouraged and have a great week!

9 comments:

SassyScrap said...

Amen sister! (Man, I wish I'd written that!) LOL! =D

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Well-said!!
I think it is important for us to be reminded about 'dying to self'-I homeschool out of obedience to my Abba, Father God! It IS an act of service to care for the home/children/husband-THIS is our ministry...

Bonnie Rick said...

Thank you for the perspective Terri - it IS a challenge to die to self and have a servant's heart - you've said it so well!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

This was exactly what I needed to hear this morning. Thanks for the pep talk! I am ready to get back in the game.

Kristin said...

That is exactly my thoughts too. Most of my non-homeschool friends always tell me that they can not do it and that they have no patience. I tell them...me too! The only reason I am able to homeschool is throught the grace of God. I don't do it for myself, but for God. I want my kids and your kids and all those that homeschool to raise up the next generation to lead our country.

We need to realize that socilization (which is the 2nd biggest excuse) is not the answer to raising Godly children. Anyway, just my $.02. Thanks for a great article.

Kristin

http://nutbugs.blogspot.com/2008/10/tracyto-homeschool-or-not-that-is.html

Anonymous said...

Love what you had to say, Terri. You summed up our goals in homeschooling. I am printing this out to remind myself on those days when I can't remember the "why".

luvbinghm said...

Ooooo--can I post this on my FB profile page--with your name given for credit of course! This SO sums up my feelings! My girls and I really dislike a line in an old famous Christmas song--"It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" that sings,"and mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again."

Terri Johnson said...

Sure, you can. Thanks for asking!

Terri